CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 26, 2010

Food, Inc.


I just finished watching the documentary
Food, Inc. It has been on our "que list" for quite a while, and I've been impatiently waiting for it. So you can guess I was extremely excited when I found out that it would be on TV. I set my DVR to record it and eagerly watched it bright and early (Emmylou just loves waking up at the crack of dawn) the next morning.

Wow. What an eye opener. I was almost afraid to watch it because I knew I would never think about food the same again. I really wish we had more money to budget towards groceries each month. If we could afford it we would definitely eat all organic. I mean we buy some things organic, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

I've already done some research into local farms and much to my surprise I found some organic farms pretty close by. I found a cattle farm not too far away that sells range fed beef. They even have a website where you can purchase your meat online and have it shipped to you.

Watching this documentary really showed me how removed we really are from the food we eat. Do you know how it's made? Where it comes from? How it's raised? What it's fed? How the worker's are treated? I didn't.

Food, Inc. has left wanting to know a lot more. I've just purchased the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. I'm hoping it will give me more insight into the food industry.

For any of you who are curious, I really recommend watching this film. I'm going to watch it again tonight, this time
with Mike. I'm just dying to hear what he'll think about it ;)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I put it in my instant Que on netflix but not ready to watch it! What did Mike think of it? We shall have to talk about it sometime soon. I think it is crazy that we have to pay more for the organic! That just blows my mind! Really does!

Mike, Valerie, Jacob, & Emma Verhoeven said...

Jenn, you have to see it! Mike was pretty interested in it. He agrees that we should definitely be eating more organic and even locally.

When you watch the documentary it shows you why organic food is more expensive. I always wondered why organic and healthy foods were more expensive too! And know I know :)